Monday, April 27, 2009

On Film Reviews and Then Some

You should probably never send a review to me unless you're sure its author knows how to write.

In the one I read today the 'writer' hit every film reviewing pet-peeve of mine in quick, musical succession as if he were simply practicing his scales!

When that difficult mission had been accomplished, he then dredged up and trotted out each and every writerly faux-pas he's never even heard of...Because he doesn't read!

If there was a book entitled: A Poor Man's Arsenal of Dreadful Writing Techniques or Grammatical Errors That Kill, this man would own it.

And never have read it. Yet, surprisingly mastered all of its techniques.

I know I'm not innocent of any of this and yet I feel the need to shake this man, from the roots upwards, and scream to a God I don't even believe in:

"Is it first person singular or first person plural that you're writing from, you dumb cluck?! "


No comments: