Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Spooky Halloween Email From Mom:

Dear Darla,

Night before last my tooth fell out as I was sewing, my front left crown, that is. Your dad and I talked about writing a novel titled, "Oh, Shit, My Tooth Fell Out." sounds pretty trite, I know.

Just a way to get started.

I had just eaten a carameled apple, maybe a connection, but after 25 years?

I wanted to finish my quilt before 10:00, when your dad planned to go to bed, so I kept sewing for a while. Besides, I was in no hurry to look in the mirror, but I knew I should clean my mouth with Peroxide, so eventually I did.

When I went to bed I showed your father my teeth--he turned away in agony. I looked very haggle-toothed with the little piece of a tooth left in my mouth.

My brother and brother-in-law suggested I try to scare the kids at school for Halloween, the dental receptionist mentioned me looking like a Jack-O-Lantern.

I got some glee in smiling at my classroom's teacher when I took the cupcakes to school, told her she could decide if I should come in for a half day or not. She smiled dryly and told me to stay at home and relax.

Other friends noticed right away and wondered how I had fixed my tooth to look that way for Halloween, etc.

I got tired of it, however, and wanted to be normal again, but not before I began to empathize with people I know with no teeth, physical disabilities, etc. I began to fantasize about an arm or my nose falling off and wonder why a half tooth could make such a difference in my appearance and self-worth.

But it was worth all the trouble, because I had a sick day to play, have lunch in the park, shop, sew, make phone calls and luxuriate in my freedom. Hallelujah!

It took the dentist about 15 minutes to cement it back in--a fortunate case, since the tooth didn't break off. After more than 25 years, he said it had been well done, and I need to write my retired dentist and thank him for that.

Your dad is happy for me, he says, that we don't have to fly to D.C. with my missing tooth, nothing compared to how happy I am.

That's it, my darling, something to make you smile and be thankful that you can!

Here is a number that called for you, whatever you wish to do with it: Patti XXX-XXX-XXXX She seemed bothered when I repeated Ratty? back to her, maybe was the type.

Lots and lots of love, Mom

1 comment:

andreac said...

Is this an actual email? Horrific.