Thursday, October 9, 2008

No More Pronouns

Mister WiFi and I watched Anime with the neighbor who told ghost stories of coyotes gang-raping neighborhood cats. (Much, like he said, my dining-room chair was doing to him...Ouch! Okay, I'll glue the wood back into one piece rather than the current shifting Jenga game of chair parts. Alright already. Okay okay.

I made dinner for the neighbor and his boyfriend and the rest of us here at Chez Same-Name. It was more ambitious than delicious and more sincere than tasty. But I was distracted. The future beckons and London Calls, but I'll save that for the next post. I've been busy.

WiFi and I talked about the way you can never arrive earlier to a place than you will actually arrive there. Especially not in the morning and especially if there's no majorly pressing need.

My Beardo explained to me tonight how one reason we are all stuck in our own heads is a linguistic problem and how one way to avoid this business is to get rid of pronouns and begin speaking of things and thinking of the world more objectively and abstractly.

The conversation was delightful but never went as far as it should have. And then also he explained how instead of seeing yourself in some certain scenario you begin to see your self as a single point on a bigger map involved in a bigger picture of things. But I simplify....

He went on about how hobbies are the key to being less concerned with our small day to day distractions and then railed against the word hobby as describing what I can only think of as "worthwhile pursuits" or "passions" or "obsessions" unless they truly mean "hobby" in a "Lady-of leisurely-pursuits-cat-loving-craft-faire" kind of way. In which case, I'm there.

But seriously this day made me realize that there's no real point in paying so much attention to language as to what people mean. Which is all about the non-verbal communication. No time for pronouns, Dr. Jones!

No comments: